Sunday, June 19, 2016

'Your Lie in April'


Ep 1
I'm ready for the tears! Not.
How long was she going to chase that cat?
As someone who doesn't care too much for classical music like that, I feel like I'm not qualified to review this anime.
But wow...this piano music...
Abrupt stop. Great. That ruins the mood.
BLOOD. What even.
Middle school? I thought so. They don't look old enough to be high schoolers.
You can obviously tell that Tsubaki likes Kousei.
I'd like to think that the enemy of all women is this little thing called a period.
I can't stand their mouths. It just looks strange...
These Kousei guy is pretty dark...
Their phone ringtones sound strange.
Well thanks for giving us info about playing the piano. And not talking about it at all. Or expanding on it.
You want a double date? WHY. And does Tsubaki need to stay anyways?
Uh...in Asian cultures (like Korea, Japan, and China) classical music is very...important. Like pianos and violins and etc.
Uh...you were playing the piano yesterday. And for work? What does that mean?
YAY. Tiger mom!
Make it big in Europe? He can make it big anywhere.
This is actually really sad...
Spats? I've never heard that before.
Pigeons aren't that friendly.
Oh man. A tsundere.
Friend A. Wow. Geez.
ENOUGH with the close-up eye shots!

Ep 2
This is such a tense atmosphere...
Whoa. Kousei's anxiety about this and his fears is overwhelming...
This show is really downplaying the classical music competition circuit. I've heard some of it before. And it's crazy.
They let her do that? Just talk randomly?
Can they do their own tempo and all? Make it special? Just the same piece? See? My lack of knowledge about music shines through now.
But also, kudos to the animators who spent time and effort and money to animate her violin playing.
And, yes, I clapped. Out loud. She deserves the applause.
I hope those flowers weren't for someone else...
Kousei and Kaori are FOIL! What's even more interesting is that the two of them share the same first letter.
Haha. I love the moments when they switch to chibi. So cute!
Watari speaks as if he knows...
How they describe the music in Kousei's narration is gorgeous by itself. If it was a book, I'd adore it.
This show switches from serious to playful within seconds. And then cute in the next .5 seconds.
What's useful in seeing the tops of their heads?

Ep 3
Kaori is so cute.
I'd take pictures of it too. I'm just that sort of person.
SPIT TAKE.
This show just loves showing off kids, doesn't it?
OH MY GOSH. Engrish!
Wow...that was amazing. I wish I could do that. But I wish I could draw, and I'm taking forever to learn.
That transition to dark is very subtle...but amazing.
Kaori has to stop ruining serious moments...
And people like me survive by watching people like you. People like you being animated characters.
Why is she wearing goggles to cook?
You can't say that Kaori isn't determined...
How many trees were killed to supply these pages?
Aka Tsubaki likes Kousei.
I'm guessing this is her stop.
The imagery of this show...
It's only episode three, and this 22 episode show has got me teary-eyed.
Also, just saying, they're going to keep playing up the dark v light thing, aren't they? We're not 'Hyouka'-ing this.
What's going to happen is that they're going to be good. But not good enough. But Kousei will love it. And he'll do it again.

Ep 4
Wait. This competition was during the school day?
Also, A+ on the OST.
He's still bleeding.
Are we comparing Kousei's state of mind as spring?
Does anyone remember that guy who took photos of his girlfriend dragging him through gorgeous places? Yeah, it looks like this.
Music is freedom. Well that sounds gorgeous.
Tsubaki's face is like when she was little.
That judge...I love his commentary. He's actually quite interesting. Does he get a name?
Dude. His posture is crazy.
I really love this breakthrough in his character.
When we hit the twinkle twinkle, I started to cry.
Whoa. What just happened?

Ep 5
If this show plays the cancer card, I'm outta here. Okay. I'm kidding. I'll stay. But still.
He likes it... But he can't swim?
The nape of her neck???
And devil Kaori comes out. Haha.
I don't think Kousei's only quality is the piano. I honestly think that he's just in this funk.
You know...this show could accurately be showing depression and all. Just saying.
I truly doubt they'd let them be out, playing soccer, in this awful looking weather.
Just saying, living for the moment could also apply to other arts and sports and all. Just saying.
But Kousei's the one I love? I expect that. Come on, Tsubaki...
Dramatic scenes by the train...
This show isn't making me hate the romance.
Kaori is freaking out all these kids.
He still can't swim, right? How does he expect to do that?
If these two's actions make those two little kids jump, I scream.

Ep 6
Little Kousei and Tsubaki.
Also, loud crying. I imagine my mom thinks I'm cray cray by now.
They're all there saying he sucks. Great friends. Really.
Quoting Snoopy. I'm not sure what this implies about Kaori.
Don't stop on the train tracks!
I don't get how they fit all those students on that stage.
Is she complaining about Kousei to her senpai?? They're on a date!
Just saying, you have three more years of school to compete. SO.
YOO. It's Denmark!

Ep 7
Who is he talking to? The cat???
Don't cry, kiddo. There's always a next time.
Cat reprisal.
So the cat is a symbol.
So he played for his mother.
He has so much resting on his shoulders... I doubt a little kid can shoulder that.

Ep 8
WOW. Takeshi (or Denmark as I know him) is crazy good.
I wonder what would come from Taekeshi being the main character of this show. Then the girl would be the love interest. Right? And it'd be about a rise to stardom, not facing your fears. That's what I think.
Takeshi is basically the musical version of Watari.
Takeshi's hair is crazy big. How does that even work?
I love how they're playing Kousei as the underdog here. Which, if you look at things, he's not at al.
Igawa has a crush? What even.
As did a fourteen-year-old boy. Just saying.
The bokeh things look really cool. But you know, it's really pretty. And are we saying that Igawa is fall? That means Kaori is spring then. Am I correct in my assumption?

Ep 9
Young Emi is so cute.
Also, that box shows how fickle children can be in choosing a hobby.
How much longer are we going to have to wait for Kousei?
I hope that cat doesn't ruin things.
I can't believe Tsubaki accepted the 'I bumped myself' excuse. That's such a lie, and we all know it.
These older kids in his memories should really stop hating on a little kid.
So which one was the performance where he stopped?
This show is just full of awfulness...
And he was doing so well!

Ep 10
Watari really has planned his entire life out, hasn't he?
This is so sad. He's under so much pressure to continue on and be the best and be perfect.
I really do feel bad for Kousei. I really do.
I hope he realizes what he needs to do.
That's sweet, Kousei. But focus.
WOW. That three pianists thing was gorgeous animation.
What's with the imagery thing?
I got teary again.
It took almost half the show to reach this point of understanding and knowing. I can't wait to see what happened next.

Ep 11
Wait. Is this the same anime? With that hero stuff...
But finding himself is part of it.
Who is this lady? I don't remember her.
They're all sideways! Like Scooby Doo.
The thing is...Kousei is human. He's as human as the rest of us.
And I think he's going to lose his reason. Real fast.
She lives at a bakery?? Geezz.
Throw-ins? Wow...
I kinda miss listening to Kaori play.

Ep 12
GOSh. Stills. Just show them playing.
He's still arguing about this. Wow. Accept her decision.
New OP? (I also said that out loud.) New person in the OP!
I love how Kaori's parents did a 360. Haha.
This is meet the parents. But worst.
And that cake won't last for his parents.
HOW DOES SHE KNOW.
She kneed him in the balls!
They really shouldn't sneak into school. Not a good influence.
Who is this other girl???
They're going to BURN someone.
He's literally following how he feels with the piano.
Also, how is he not drowing? He hasn't breathed in oxygen in a while. And he's just letting out a whole bunnch of carbon dioxide.
She passed out, remember? She could be really sick.

Ep 13
ANOTHER fight?
Little Kousei is insane.
Wait. They all said 'look at me' differently. I'm confused. Japanese...
I hate the mom a bit. But I'll still cry for her. For the person before the piano drama.
Kousei has to stop changing playing styles. Figure it out beforehand! Practice practice.
I love that the kids look so simple. It's kinda cute.
Yup. Saki will draw a few tears...
Kousei has changed. I can tell. Not just in the obvious way. In the complex way too.
We're getting too literal with the drove you into a corner thing.
Okay. This episode might make me understand Saki more now.
I'm full on crying. With the hiccups and all.
They all looked so shocked. I mean, I guess I would too if I came for a violin concert.
Why did he look so sad? His mom is still with him.
"So did you see Saki?" got me crying all over again.
"Mom's in all the little gestures in me" got me crying even harder.
YUP. Kousei and I are crying together.
Why are we focusing on this kid? I don't care about him. At all.
AW Man. We're going that Mom thing too.
Miike's mom reminds me of that girl from Beyond the Boundary.
So...Kousei changes everything? hahaha. LIEs.
If we introduce the bull romance between Tsubaki and Kousei, I'm going to riot. But I knew it was coming.
WHOA. He just found out?
And Kaori looks so so pale...
And did this show just foreshadow itself???

Ep 14
Wait. He just found out? How long ago was this?
Unlke the others, Kaori is colored in pastels.
How hard did she hit her heard?
Watari is dumping them on the top of his head.
Now, let's see the truth.
This other girl showed up. And I still know nothing about her.
Watari cock blocked Kousei without even being there.
How would Kaori know? She didn't know a thing about Kousei's mother.
Why are we looking at Little Kousei again?
That song is freaking weird.
What a knowing glance, Watari...
Does she just tell stories about Kousei? The poor guy...
Don't dislike means like. Dude.
Did we just do the 'does he like me, does he like me not' thing???
That is a girl's humming/singing voice. Not Kousei's.
No, they're a MAN'S footprints. Kidding.
Go only once or twice a week?? What does that even mean? How is that even possible? You go high school every day, dear child.
And this is making me cry too. Partly because Tsubaki has no chance. And partly because WOW VISUALS.

Ep 15
How does Tsubaki do these things? She's a monster.
The stereotypical moment of realization and let go of something.
WHOA. Those kids are doing those monkey bars fast. I've never done it that fast before!
Well, that's how to break the ice, sempai.
I've eaten potato chips with a fork before.
Opposites attract. But sometimes similarities do too. There is no telling.
She was just a person to talk to. Never a girlfriend. Since when?
How did Kousei NOT know about her boyfriend? HOW.
Uh...Watari is also in one of those memories. Just saying.
Don't worry. I imagine I will know nothing about my future SO's passions. Or maybe I will.
Just HOW LATE is this school open? And who locks the doors? (My school doesn't allow students to take the keys.)
You better clean up after yourself, Denmark. (I forgot his name. So he is now Denmark!)
Wow. We're taking these bad omens to another level.
Like takeout? I wish my mom was that cool.
Okay. Um...saying you play piano means you're a pianist. Sooo. That second sentence was useless.
Seto HAS a student. Who is sitting right there.
This cat has NO DETAILS. He's very DERPY.
Wait. Isn't that the cake shop Kaori's parents work at???
You don't feed cats that sweet stuff.
THEN GET YOUR DAD TO BRING YOU SOME.
That hall has to have nurses. This is not how hospitals work! And she should have a saline drip or something to hang onto. GEEZ. This is NOT how hospitals work! The scenes dramatic and all but not realistic. There should be a nurse on her in about...two seconds.
And screaming would have definitely grabbed someone's attention. Including someone in a neighboring room.

Ep 16
Are her parents not home?
Hm. Time to Google what illnesses make you lose feeling in your legs.
OH MY GOSH. She could be a horror character with all that blood.
Are we going to see some bull romance between Kousei and this little girl?  
WHOA. She just insulted Kousei. I think?
Get her palmiers! Those things are BOSS.
Mentally prepared for what?
Lying in wait? What does that even mean?
We're mirroring that scene from earlier in this anime! But with lots of different things. Like the season. And the clothes.
A bunny for fall? A bunny?
Don't you see? She's still really pale.
He is happy with Kaori. I mean...you know.
She's flailing.
How does she not have a million monitors on her right now? She snuck out!
She just basically confessed. Snuck out of the hospital and waited for YOU. Dear child...
Uh...meteor shower? There aren't that many shooting stars. Not at once.
Seto is JUDGING.
Her backpack has a skeleton???
HERO? Hm...OH MY GOSH. Is it Denmark??? Or Miike?
Is there an actual reason to hate Kousei?
Also, I feel like this is a boring sidestory. MOVE ON.
Unsavory acts?
So that's what Seto meant when she recognized the name!
WHAT

Ep 17
Just kidding won't hide everything. He'll find out. Soon.
Why can't he face her?
And is it cold? If so, why isn't she wearing longer skirts? Or something?
Uh...not all women. Don't generalize.
Ravel? What's with that song?
MY? MY??? Watari, stop being possessive.
What's wrong? Everything. Nothing. Something in between.
Reset buttons don't work in life.
Remembering her? Forgetting her? Impossible.
The notice me thing is for the other girl with black hair. Her too. She wanted Kousei to notice her.
Her eyes are two different colors.
And why can he play? WHY.
WHERE do those kids get blond hair? WHERE. The mom is a brunette! Show me the dad! I ned to know this. I don't care if anime hair color is chosen at random. SHOW ME GENETIC PROOF.
Seto didn't mark it? Come on! We need the cutesy markings!
Lolicon bait??? HAHAHAHA. An anime basically just acknowledged one of its faults.
Also, I'm majorly disappointed in this side story. Like...what even? Why even? Who cares??? I don't.
"Say Something" would be perfect here.
A walking hard-on. I'll use that again. ONE DAY.
How do they know where the keys are and all?
Is Denmark a high schooler? No, right?
I thought it was a music school? Is it just an arts school? That would explain the comedy (which would be theater-esuqe.)
Does no one else notice the hole by her hand???
Did she think that only she felt fear? Uh...just look at your older brother.
WAIT. She's thirteen? How old is Kousei then? Fourteen? Fifteen? He looks way older than her. I can't believe it.
So they're doing it together.
And the happy music from the OST starts!
Uh. Static.

Ep 18
Punching her? That's harsh.
It's been a while since Kaori has played. Present or past. Either way. I'd like to see her.
Kousei's eyes match his hair. I just noticed that.
I think you should ask Kaori when you see her. And you will see her again. I don't care what the script tells you.
Did the organizers know there would be two players? Or did they drag that other chair on stage for Kousei?
Kousei really has to stop doing this thing.
Because Kousei is tempermental. He isn't an accompanist. He's a soloist.
Nagi will be a demon in the future. I know she will. She can fight with Kousei. And seem to win. Or at least keep pace.
Have his way is so dirty. Haha.
I've heard this song before. In a dream. I'm kidding.
Watari...
Yes. I've definitely heard this song before. Definitely.
Fight, Nagi! Fight!
Chogokin?
Can we see them waltzing then? Please? That'd be gorgeous imagery.
Okay. Even though I don't really love, Nagi, I do appreciate her growth.
I gasped and began to cry when Kaori lifted her hand to pretend to accompany them.
Because there's a beautiful violinist who was there to cheer him on.
Marry me. Hahaha.
I love this hilarity of the brother sister duo.
Teaching you all kids of things? Bad wording.
In any other anime, Takeshi would have literally BEAT Kousei. LITERALLY.
She just got some color back. Or am I seeing things?
You know, there are probably robotics to help her play.

Ep 19
Have it? Surgery? YUP.
Tsubaki is PREENING.
Dude. Physical therapy is hard. I had to do it once. It was awful.
We still don't know her illness!
You vomited? WHEN.
I cut my hair before. It wasn't good or anything. And I don't have a license.
Did this just become Food Wars? Hahaha.
This is so normal. I love it.
Don't Emi and Kousei need to change?
Allies and enemies. They're just words.

Ep 20
So she's one of those rapid gunfire sneezers.
That doesn't look like lemonade...
Love has nothing to do with it.
Also, doesn't Kousei have classes? He isn't always going to be in the music room.
A dramatic switch from present day to past.
AW. CAT.
What a weird structure.
Says the girl sitting in the rain without an umbrella.
"So look at me"? Come on, girly! Say it.
Why did that turn into all pastel/watercolor? WHY. There was no reason for it.
Kicking the guy you like isn't good for you, dude.
What in the world is wrong with your rain? It shouldn't taste like lemonade.
Is she trying to break the window???
You didn't know the sky is connected? REALLY.
Please tell me that was just a scare. They needed to se her one last time. They need too.
OH MY GOD. and that cat died too? OH MY GOD.

Ep 21
Oh god. She's not dead yet.
Uh. Seto. You're holding your phone upside down.
How far will Kousei go? How much longer will it take for him to break?
Kaori...
He shouldn't be allowed to do this.
And what is this mysterious illness? I'm guessing cancer.
Is anyone else getting This Savage Song vibes? it's a book. But still.
Uh. I've gone without writing for months. It's only a week.
This has got to be one of the most beautiful scenes in the entire anime.
I'm getting Kiznaiver vibes. Existing inside other people and all.
A+ when anime shows reference anime shows.
Marcie? The term is Merci. Which is French for thanks. Wait. Is Kaori part French? That would explain a lot, actually.
Miike? Why is he showing up?
Kousei's pure determination is amazing. He really has changed.
The name 'Arima' rings through them all.
So many people relying on him. So many people believe in him. That's amazing.

Ep 22
I have a lack of knowledge about music. So I wouldn't be able to tell the emotions without the visuals and all.
Please tell me there's a scene with them all standing in front of a cherry blossom tree.
Please tell me this anime gives you hope. I'm drowning in feels. You could probably make an ocean with all the tears I've shed.
Kaori...no. Please. No.
Kousei has grown. He has. So much.
'Reach her' is Kousei's 'Listen to me'.
A piano in the sky. How gorgeous. I love that.
I think every time I heard the piano and violin together, I might just burst into tears.
And the sky turns dark.
Wow. This is a gorgeous scene. An explosion of light. And so many tears.
If this anime doesn't end on him running to the hospital and a close to black, I'm going to riot.
No.
Little Kaori looks so strange.
Epilogue via letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment